Re: Anthurium "Circus Peanuts"

Actually Tom named the 'Circus Peanuts' Anthurium for the smell of that
atrocious candy that you buy in celephane bags at candy counters that is
shaped like giant peanuts in their shells. This orange sherbet-colored candy
has a ghastly foam texture with the sicky-sweet fake smell (and taste) of
bananas (amyl acetate) that is used for cheap artifical banana flavoring. The
scent from the flowers has this same amyl acetate component and is quite
distinctive. It does not smell like beer or real peanuts or anything like
that! The name is quite a joke but is not a really fitting name for such a
hybrid so we chose instead to call it 'Mike's Goliath' to honor Mike Bush,
who made the original hybrid back in the early 1980's.

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens

<< BTW, at Selby, they call it A. 'Mike's Goliath'.  Tom Croat put the handle
 that we use on it...  He said the inflorescence smelled like the little
 things that elephants like....  Hot Roasted Peanuts...  (Also reminds me of
 sitting at tables in the jungles of Ecuador with beer and peanuts, an
 experinece that I had a few times....  lots of fun.{Dave L and Betsy F.
 will have this memory also}..)