A few Questions

Well, the other day I bought a few unusual Colocasia one was variegated and
another has red streaks down the stem. They were sold under their Hawaiian
names. kumu, maea, lehua. Here is some information I got off a site about

Polynesian introduction
The most important plant in Hawaiian culture is Taro. Taro is a very useful
and beautiful plant. This staple food plant of the temperate zone was known
in China and in Egypt in the first century. It made it's way to Hawaii
through Southeast Asia, New Guinea, and the South Pacific Islands as a canoe
plant by the Polynesians. The Hawaiians cultivated over 300 named varieties.
They have rich variations in stalk colors and leaf petiole colors. Some of
the most striking varieties such as kumu, maea, and elepaio add grace to a
garden. Leaf tops sway in the breeze and make the plant look like it is
dancing a hula. The Kumu has red stalks and was used as an offering to the
Gods. Maea has dark burgundy stalks and burgundy veins, and the elepaio has
green stalks and green leaves, with white speckling on the leaves. One of the
most favored varieties for poi is lehua. It has green leaves, the stalks are
green and light pink. Most of the varieties are good table taro, just steamed
and covered with butter. The leaves are delicious steamed

OK well this makes me wonder does any one have a list or photos of all these
unusual Colocasia. It seems their are a lot of them not in collections that
should be. Just recently Nancy's revenge Affinis Jeningsii and a few other
unusual looking forms have come out.

I would like to also know if any of these Colocasia have been crossed with
Xanthosoma or Caladium's? I have read on here someone in China crossed an
Alocasia with a Colocasia? Is their any PICS of this?
It would be interesting to see a caladium bicolor crossed with a Colocasia or
a Xanthosoma magnificum cross. Thanks