Re: Typhonodorum lindleyanum

At 06:40 PM 7/7/2000 -0500, Julius wrote:

>I don`t think I understand---one season will give you a plant maybe 12-18"
>(INCHES!) tall--it will take several years (3-4???) at the least to get
>anything of any size!!

Oh!  OK. well, maybe I could over winter it in the small indoor pond in the
basement.

By the way IF you have a couple seed to spare let me know, I know a guy that
>wants a couple.

I will be looking for seed myself.  If I find some, I'll be happy to pass
any extra out.

> >Might is be possible to produce seed from a plant in one growing season?<
>
>NO sir!!   This is one of the Aroid giants, my BEST guess is a growth period
>of several years before seed!

Ah, OK.

>You will need to over-winter any you get before you build the g/house.   How
>do you presently over-winter the trop. w/ lilys??

Well, Victorias waterlilies flower and develop seed in one season.  In the
fall, the plant dies from the cold.  But because seed was produced, one starts
a new plant the next spring.

But most other tropical waterlilies are dug up in the fall, and the tubers
stored indoors over winter, then planted again next spring.  It is such a
big pain, that many folks just buy new tropical waterlilies the next year.

Tubers of  hardy water lilies can over winter in the bottom of a pond.  The
pond can even freeze over, but as long as the tubers don't freeze, they
will come back the following year.

jack