Re: Typhonodorum lindleyanum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Typhonodorum lindleyanum
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:42:57 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Honeycutt <jhoneycutt@uswest.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, July 10, 2000 12:11 AM

At 06:40 PM 7/7/2000 -0500, Julius wrote:

>I don`t think I understand---one season will give you a plant maybe 12-18"
>(INCHES!) tall--it will take several years (3-4???) at the least to get
>anything of any size!!
Oh!  OK. well, maybe I could over winter it in the small indoor pond in the

This is not TOO difficult--an aquarium water heater, a overhead grow-light
at the correct height above the leaves, and that should do it!

By the way IF you have a couple seed to spare let me know, I know a guy that
>wants a couple.
I will be looking for seed myself.  If I find some, I'll be happy to pass
any extra out.<

OK.   When you do find a source, you should get lots, they produce LOTS of
huge, already-germinating seeds from one inflor., and produce multiple
inflor.`s at a time.

> >Might is be possible to produce seed from a plant in one growing season?<
>NO sir!!   This is one of the Aroid giants, my BEST guess is a growth
>of several years before seed!
Ah, OK.<

This is a BIG plant!

>You will need to over-winter any you get before you build the g/house.
>do you presently over-winter the trop. w/ lilys??
Well, Victorias waterlilies flower and develop seed in one season.  In the
fall, the plant dies from the cold.  But because seed was produced, one
a new plant the next spring.<

WOW!   They do their thing in a hurry!   I guess their pools dry out in

>But most other tropical waterlilies are dug up in the fall, and the tubers
stored indoors over winter, then planted again next spring.  It is such a
big pain, that many folks just buy new tropical waterlilies the next year.
Tubers of  hardy water lilies can over winter in the bottom of a pond.  The
pond can even freeze over, but as long as the tubers don't freeze, they
will come back the following year.<

These must be cheap plants!  The late DR Monroe Birdsey in Miami bred quite
a few new ones, and treasured his plants.
Thanks for the information!