Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer -size to bloom

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer -size to bloom
  • From: "Don Bittel" <dbittel@treco.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:25:37 -0500 (CDT)

Jody,
my bulbifer plants usually flower when about 3 feet tall. I had maybe 7
flowers this spring, aound May.
my paeonifolius plants are about the same, flowering when 3 to 4 feet tall.
I had about 20 flowers this spring, also about May. The biggest flowers
will wait to put up a leaf until next spring. My biggest leaf now is about
8 feet, from a big flower last year.
Don't need to worry about the smell though, because my wife makes me cut
them all down when the flies start buzzin'

Don Bittel

----------
> From: Jody Haynes <webmaster@plantapalm.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
> Subject: Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer stories
> Date: Monday, July 10, 2000 10:23 PM
>
> Albert,
>
> This will certainly not help you unravel your apparent mystery, but I
could add
> that my A. bulbifer was the first to emerger (from the ground) this year,
> some time
> in May. The bulbils from last year that I had sown in a container earlier
this
> spring emerged about a month later. My largest plant has a leaf about 3
> feet tall
> now, but still has not flowered. How big does this species need to be
before it
> flowers?
>
> My A. paenifolius emerged in June and the leaf reached 4 feet. This one
> also has
> not flowered...again same question: how big 'til it blooms?
>
> Jody (in Miami)
>
> Albert Huntington wrote:
>
> > Hello, List.
> >
> >   I would like to bring up a couple of observations about my A.
bulbifer and