Re:Caladium lindenii

-----Original Message-----
From: plantnut <plantnut@macconnect.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: Xanthosoma lindenii

>My two cents worth....  Xanthosoma lindenii...  is not really a Xanthosoma.
Dr. M. Madison put it into Caladium years ago.  This might help you with
the culture.  Treat it as a Caladium.
Dewey<

Dear Friends,

'Caladium' lindenii is based on the pollen being shed in monads vs. being
shed in tetrads as in Xanthosoma, and is the present basis for this somewhat
enigmatic Aroid being placed into the genus Caladium, as against it being
assigned to Xanthosoma or some other genus of Aroid.  It does not form a
tuber, instead it forms a somewhat woody, thin rhizome with a hard, rough
'bark'-like outer covering, quite different to any species of Caladium OR
Xanthosoma I have so far come across!   In this feature it reminds me of the
growth habit of Homalomena picturatum!   This lack of a tuber or fleshy
rhizome prevents me from treating it (or even thinking of it!) like any of
my more 'regular' Caladiums!   I confess that I can`t get the thing to do
ANYTHING for me!

 Perhaps in time a change may be made in it`s genitic assignment, but for
now it will remain assigned to the genus Caladium, but what an odd-ball
one!!

Cheers,

Julius

temp
>at night also, and bright light/no sun!   Circ. of air with a fan would be
>good also.   I heard stories of a grower using a contraption of a mist/wall
>of circ. water that cooled and humidified his g/house that grew these to a
>giant size, he amazed people when he exibited them at the Aroid show in
>Miami (before my time!).
>
>Good luck.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Julius
>
><I picked one of these up in a 3 gallon size container at my
>neighborhood K-Mart of all places and it was a really large
>robust plant and was marked as "Tropical Foliage".   It must have
>at least a half-dozen individual shoots with very nice healthy
>leaves.   I was just about in shock when I saw it sitting there
>(they had two of them).   My first question is if anyone has any
>cultural hints for this attractive plant here in northeast TN
>where it's been in the 90's F for awhile.   The second one is
>when I receive this list, it appears that conversations have
>taken place between people on the list and even get to see
>picture attachments.   I see the note where the letter has an
>attachment but no way to see it.   Maybe I'm missing out on
>something in the way that this works.
>
>Thanks,
>
>David Sizemore
>plantsman@prodigy.net