Re: Caladium (Xanthosoma) lindenii

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Caladium (Xanthosoma) lindenii
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:50:50 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Piabinha@aol.com <Piabinha@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 12:24 AM
Subject: Caladium (Xanthosoma) lindenii

This 'Caladium' species is rhizomatous, and does not form any kind of a
tuber.   I just posted another message to this effect.

Under good conditions Caladium thbers always increase in size or divide into
more tubers, therefor if yours are shrinking in size, something is seriously
wrong.   Your growing conditions in N.Y. are probably not providing the
optimum conditions they need.   These may include length of growing period
during the entire year, length of 'day light' in your apt., humidity, soil
mix to suit your watering schedule, correct type of fertlizer, and many
others.
They do VERY well in the wild AND in many collections, increasing
dramatically in size and tuber quantity from year to year!   There is a
whole industry here in Cen. Florida that depends on this!

Cheers,

Julius

>my previous plant, a small one in a 5" pot, croaked easily and then never
came back, although i expected it to have a tuber...  just this weekend, i
bought a large plant (in a 12" pot) for only $9.95 from a vendor at jerry
barad's picnic.  i'm keeping my fingers crossed...

incidentally, why do cultivated Caladium tubers shrink from year to year?
how do they increase in size in the wild then?

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA<<