Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer stories

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer stories
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:17:39 -0500 (CDT)

I think this is what we had labeled as Amorphophallus bulbifer. I just
changed the tag to A. muelleri but I am not so sure this is correct. The
inflorescence smells a bit like a light tropical citrus or gingery smell. It
is not very strong smelling but certainly does not smell stinky or rotten or
otherwise repulsive. Bulbils form at the base of the blades. The spathe
interior is a lovely shell pink. I wish I still had an inflorescence for a
better description but our plants bloomed about a month ago. These plants
have been here for several years outdoors (have no idea about the source of
the plant, but possibly came from Sun Bulb?) and we have often referred to it
as the "nice smelling bulbifer".

I would check my Aroideana Amorphophallus volume to compare Wilbert's
descriptions of both Amorph. bulbifer and A. muelleri but have loaned it out
and did not get it back! I'll never do that again!

Donna Atwood

 There is an Amorphophallus here in Florida much like A. bulbifer in that it
 produces bulbils on the leaf 'joints' that does produce a BEAUTIFUL, tall,
 chalice-like bloom that smells WONDERFUL, quite unlike the stench of A.
 bulbifer.   It is sold by Charlie Mc Daniel at Shows as the 'Good-smelling
 A. bulbifer'.

 Any ideas??