Re: hardiness of Sauromatum

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Diana Reeck wrote:

> I am looking for information about the hardiness of Sauromatum venosum.  I
> am writing up my fall plant list, and would like some to get anyone's
> personal experiences with this.  Thanks

I and a number of others grow it easily in USDA zone 6 (NW Arkansas, in my
case), and it's survived overnight lows of -20 F (-28 C) with no problem.
Even the smallest offsets have no trouble with the cold. I think I
remember Panayoti Kelaidis in Denver telling me that it was hardy there
(yes, "hardy in Denver" again), and I recall that some I sent Ellen Hornig
years ago survived at least their first winter in upstate New York.

Since Wilbert insists on sinking this into Typhonium, and Typhonium has
also been a popular topic lately, this gives me a perfect segue to
hardiness in Typhoniums in general. Besides venosum and giganteum - which
produces marvelously tropical-looking leaves when happy outdoors - what
are the coldest growing and hardiest members of the genus?

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu