RE: hardiness of Sauromatum

Diana:
     I am originally from the North Coast of California a couple of hundred
miles north of the San Francisco Area.  While winters are mild (350 days
without frost), they are very wet and chilly.  Sauromatum venosum survives
the winter there without any obvious problems with rotting of the dormant
tubers.
     I now live in Atlanta and have them growing in the garden here.  They
are down about 6 inches and have survived winter nights down to as low as
0F.  Technically we are zone 7b here in the city and 6b-7a in the suburbs.
 I have friends who have them in the ground in zone 6a.