Re: Insecticides

  • Subject: Re: Insecticides
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:28:28 -0500 (CDT)

Don,

Straight imidacloprid is available here in the states.  It is registered/ labeled
as Merit 75 WP and is available in 2 oz. plastic bottles.  It's also packaged
in granular form for turfgrass applications.  Costlier than other products
but it goes a long way (dilution for ornamentals 1 tsp: 10 gal = 1.4 g: 38 liters).
As an aside, imidacloprid is also labeled as Primise for the US pest control
industry and has become a popular replacement for chlordane when treating
soils for subterranean termites.

I've used Merit with good success on a wide variety of aroids & other misc.
plant families with no problems noted.  It's a relatively safe systemic with low
toxicity to non-target organisms including people & animals, and has good to
very good persistence in the plant.  However, it is not labeled as a miticide.

Don't personally know if Provado Ultimate spray is available over here, but
based on the fact that methiocarb aka "Mesurol" has become much harder
for homeowners/hobbyist growers to obtain (no longer EPA registered for
food crops in the US); I'd be surprised.

 -Dan

p/s to David Thornton:
Your spider mites would only be stopped by the methiocarb portion of
Provado spray and it's important to note that methiocarb is NOT a systemic.
It kills predominantly by contact activity.  IF you opt to spray again, keep in
mind you'll need to coat all surfaces thoroughly for effective mite control.