Re: why scientists don't just give up the names battle

  • Subject: Re: why scientists don't just give up the names battle
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:55:13 -0500 (CDT)

>Am I the only one who takes an interest in certain plants BECAUSE of their
names?  In the colud forest of Costa Rica grows a species of Peperomia
whose binomial is P. hernandiifolia.  As you who remember my name may have
guessed, it was the plant's name I found intriguing (as well as the peltate
leaves).  And in seeking to learn the meaning of such a name, I was led to
the unrelated genus Hernandia, in the family Hernandiaceae.  Again, it is
the name I found intriguing; the name served as the gateway to learn more.
>Jason Hernandez

I own Davallia tyermanni (Silver Hares Foot Fern) and Rhododendron
tyermanii for exactly the same reasons.  Have never been able to find out
who the Tyerman was who discovered these species was though.  Don't think
that he/she was into aroids though <grin>.

Have always loved Dracula vampira (Orchidaceae) for the name as well
(particularly as it has hanging black flowers).

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus, Cyrtanthus,
Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that
doesn't move!!!!!