re:why scientists dont just give up the name battle

  • Subject: re:why scientists dont just give up the name battle
  • From: "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:14:10 -0500 (CDT)

After one has got into deep water it is a relief to find one has not
actually drowned.  It is less of a relief when realises one has drowned &
for such overt folly is faced with the prospect of accounting to ones
Masters, perhaps even Deities if they be in Botany too?

How good it is to see such weighty debate on such deep matters in a Public
Forum.  How good it is to see diverse subjective opinions & seriously
dogmatic subjectivity moving so eloquently towards the dry land of
intelligent humorous objective rationality.   You see Professional Botanists
and Growers who know the pretty plants they like best CAN live with each
other amicably.   So if some of you want to show off your swimming supremacy
but get accidentally out of sight of land you needn't drown, just call for
help & the always benevolent Life Guards will come to your rescue.

Do you know I've almost drowned a lot of times, but "they" told me that it
is wiser to learn from other peoples experiences than my own?   And always
afterwards I heard God himself sigh despairingly, "Ah, everything is
important but do those atom I created need to take themselves so seriously?"

Without solicitation or seeming partisan so as to make the Sea Gods angry, I
humbly thank the long time Life Guards of the IAS for their wide & cautious

Lady Fanshawe