Re: Names and Philo Santa Leopoldina

  • Subject: Re: Names and Philo Santa Leopoldina
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:15:15 -0500 (CDT)

Dear guys,

    In fact there must be at least three forms called Philodendron īSanta
Leopoldina`. The first one is formally known as Philodendron spiritus-sancti
G.S.Bunting, that has strap leaves, usually reddish below. There will be an
article on the next Aroideana (soon!) concerning the finding of this species
in the wild, with pictures, ink drawings and an extended description. The
other two are undescribed species, one of them with very robust habit and a
sterile appendix at the apex of the spadix. Why there are so many 'formsī?
Because Santa Leopoldina is a place in Eastern Brazil from where this
species were found. Which is the true Philo `Santa Leopoldina`? None of
them! The name is not formally recognized. Even Roberto Burle-Marx (that
probably started using this name) used to call all forms `Santa Leopoldina`,
as I could see in his collection.
    Can you see that? Taxonomy is important to avoid you to pay US$300,00
for a seedling of Philodendron atabapoense, that has somewhat elongated
leaves that are reddish below (but is a weed in some places of Northern
South America) just because someone called it P. `Santa Leopoldina`!

                         Very best wishes,

                                 Eduardo.