Re: why scientists don't just give look at Clitoria

  • Subject: Re: why scientists don't just give look at Clitoria
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:31:10 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: magrysbo@shu.edu <magrysbo@shu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, July 16, 2001 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: why scientists don't just give up the names battle

My friend the late Dr. Monroe Birdsey, in addition to his vast collection of
Aroid genera and other wonderful treees and plants, had quite a few vines of
Clitoria, and delighted in showing them and their peculiar 'floral traits'
to whoever was visiting at the time!   Quite a beautiful bloom even WITHOUT
the 'little trick'!!!!!!

>>That's why I got Peltoboykinia watanabe.
Do you know what is the name of the cross of the genera Doritis with
Gastorchis in the orchid family? ---- Gastritis!

Still looking for a Clitoria,

Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>@mobot.org on 07/11/2001 10:55:58 AM

Please respond to aroid-l@mobot.org

Sent by:  aroid-l@mobot.org

To:   Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>

>Am I the only one who takes an interest in certain plants BECAUSE of their
names?  In the colud forest of Costa Rica grows a species of Peperomia
whose binomial is P. hernandiifolia.  As you who remember my name may have
guessed, it was the plant's name I found intriguing (as well as the peltate
leaves).  And in seeking to learn the meaning of such a name, I was led to
the unrelated genus Hernandia, in the family Hernandiaceae.  Again, it is
the name I found intriguing; the name served as the gateway to learn more.
>Jason Hernandez

I own Davallia tyermanni (Silver Hares Foot Fern) and Rhododendron
tyermanii for exactly the same reasons.  Have never been able to find out
who the Tyerman was who discovered these species was though.  Don't think
that he/she was into aroids though <grin>.

Have always loved Dracula vampira (Orchidaceae) for the name as well
(particularly as it has hanging black flowers).

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus, Cyrtanthus,
Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that
doesn't move!!!!!