Re: In-ground Planting Mix

  • Subject: Re: In-ground Planting Mix
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:35:27 -0500 (CDT)

Many thanks to all for the responses so far.  Sounds like I'm at least heading
in the right general direction, notwithstanding my consideration of the Evil
Coconut by-product.

Lynn- Agricultural lime and a mineral fertilizer will both be mix components,
though I didn't mention this in my original post.   Thanks for raising this aspect
of soil chemistry- the ensuing discussion has been most enlightening.

George- Yes drainage is a concern.  I've dug 2 ea. sumps into the bottom of the
pit, to be filled with rock along with the entire bottom 4".  My clay does drain,
albeit slowly- so I'm remaining optimistic.  Perhaps I should be installing a proper
concrete sump with a pump...?   But as you mentioned, at that point it might be
easier to just leave all my Alocasia, etc. in pots and plant a small taro patch instead.

Denis to answer your question- The only soil/ rock yard in my immediate area is
located in (the People's Republic of) Berkeley.  Henceforth, peat is unofficially
banned and coir is offered in its place as "... an environmentally friendly alternative to
peat moss."  Wouldn't be surprised if they're smoking coir too over on Telegraph Av.
however, I have never used the stuff to date either recreationally (well- maybe I tried it
just once, but didn't inhale) or as a mix component for any of my collection.

The choice was strictly a matter of simplicity as the Berkeley place will mix & deliver
anything from their bins for a nominal charge.  But since my pit is still empty, I'm now
on the hunt for 5 yd. of peat.  Better for the plants, but worse for my aching back!