Re: wanted:caladium bicolor

  • Subject: Re: wanted:caladium bicolor
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:17:22 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:07:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, plantnut <plantnut@macconnect.com> writes:

> Which one?  There are several...  Caladium bicolor var. ?????
> Dewey
>
> >I am loooking for some Caladium bicolor; I am in  southwest Florida.

That reminds me...I suppose a Caladuim blooming is not quite so newsworthy as a titanum, but my co-worker's Caladuims have been blooming for some weeks now.  (Coastal Georgia)  Unfortunately, no two inflorescences have coincided in time, so unless it is apomictic, there will be no seeds.  It was a good opportunity for me to expand my photographic archives of Aroid inflorescences -- especially since her 'Candidum' produced an aberrant inflorescence: the spathe never fully expanded, the spadix did not extend into the upper spathe, and the male spadix was forked.  Conversely, her other one (which cv. has green leaves, with red ribs and pink-to-red mottling, more concentrated at the centers?) produced a perfect, flawless inflorecence, raised above the leaves.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large