Re: Dracontium ID

  • Subject: Re: Dracontium ID
  • From: Albert Huntington <balberth@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:27:18 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Folks,

  I would like to thank everyone who answered my question concerning the
identification of my plant, formerly labeled D. gigas.

  It would appear that I have been given 3 diagnoses:  D. prancei ( the current
favorite ), D. polyphyllum, and Pycnospatha arietina.

  Looking at the pictures that our esteemed friend G. Zhu has on the aroid.org
webpage, there is certainly a resemblance to D. prancei more than D.
polyphyllum, but I would like to revisit Denis' diagnosis of a possible match
with P. arietina.  In particular, the reason for my concern is that the shape
of the spathe of my plant doesn't quite seem to match either of the suggested
Dracontiums.  The tip of the spathe is definitely curved over until it points
almost towards the ground, which is not the case with the suggested dracontium
pictures.

  I have been unable to find a lot of references to Pycnospatha, but looking at
the drawings and description in _Genera_of_Araceae_, it looks like it might be
a good match.

  Does anyone know of a simple diagnostic difference between Dracontium and
Pycnospatha other than locality?

Thanks,
--Albert

=====
Albert Huntington           San Jose, CA U.S.A.
           Visit my greenhouse at:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1436