Tricosanthes cucumerina

  • Subject: Tricosanthes cucumerina
  • From: catread40@webtv.net (Cathy Zelonis)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:29:07 -0500 (CDT)

   I realize that this is not an aroid, but some of you who like
beautiful, exotic and unusual flowers might know where I can get seeds
for this plant. It is commonly known as a snake gourd. I ordered seeds
from a couple gourd dealers under the name of snake gourd, but I was
sent seeds for the Lagenaria siceraria, the Italian cucuzzi, the
popular, edible cucurbit. The dealers don't have seeds for Tricosanthes
c.(This is an excellent argument for botanical names!) If you are
interested in seeing this exotic flower, there is a picture of it on
page 58 of The Gourd Book by Charles B. Heiser, Jr. It originated in
Asia. Does anyone have seeds or know where I can get some?