Lime and trades

  • Subject: Lime and trades
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:34:33 -0500 (CDT)

This mad scientist has enough calcium, magnesium and other minerals
dissolved in his tap water to supply healthy growth.
Not sure of the pH though. I'm glad you enjoyed the Sauromatum. Fascinating
but, peeyeww!
Aroid-L members - I've got lots more. An A-23 recieved this year turned out
not to be Arisaema tortuosum but, as close as I can tell, Pinellia
pedatisecta. It looks like its growing out of 10 bulbs now and always has
2-3 blooms on it for over a month now. I'll have seeds and bulblets for
Other Arisaemas not so good. Ones not in growth only survived if lifted or
the tuber became exposed by weathering or soil sinkage in the raised beds.
Those directly under the surface tended to rot, even after only 1 rain.
Anyone have luck growing the himalayan types - high altitude griffithii
types? How about wilsonii? I'm also looking for thunbergii, but not tiny
BTW, who sent me the Clerodendron? Sorry, the plant ate the tag, growing by
the Pinellia, must be a very rich soil site.
Bonaventure Magrys

"Cooper, Susan L." <SLCooper@scj.com>@mobot.org on 07/25/2001 04:20:55 PM

Please respond to aroid-l@mobot.org

Sent by:  aroid-l@mobot.org

To:   Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>

Subject:  RE: Lime and pine nuggets, soil mixes

I add bulb food, if I have it, or osmocote fertilizer.  I tried the Craig
Allen method of extra fertilizer in the soil, I lost most of those plants,
but that could have been due to cold+wet=ROT!
I know it works great for my Zantedeschias, everything else seems to grow
the same with or without it.  But I change the soil in my pots every

I don't add sulfur.
I used to add manure, but developed a terrible fruit fly or gnat problem
when I brought my plants indoors in the fall.

Do any mad scientist add an aqueous calcium carbonate to their Amorphs
during watering?  I wonder what would happen?