RE: A Different Perspective

  • Subject: RE: A Different Perspective
  • From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@cts.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:16:04 -0500 (CDT)

I think we need to keep the purpose of CITES in mind. It is only meant to
regulate the international trade in some species, it is not a blanket
conservation measure.  It is true that habitat destruction is the major
known cause of endangerment and probably extirpation. This however is not
amenable control through treaties. CITES represents an effort to control
one small part of a much greater problem. As collectors I think we have a
responsibility to do our part, small though it may be.

Phil Bunch