Aroid trading online

  • Subject: Aroid trading online
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:17:22 -0500 (CDT)

Aroiders,

This topic, which came up several days ago, has died down a bit, but I
wanted to let you all know that the interest was noticed, and that people
are investigating how it might be done. Details aren't worked out yet, but
the idea didn't just disappear.

People are certainly free to post offers of extra seeds and plants to
Aroid-L (I do from time to time, and I don't even limit myself to aroids),
and Aroid-L exists to serve the wants of aroiders. However, I personally
feel for a number of practical reasons that for a true trading arena a web
approach is better (in the sense of being more efficient and convenient).
I've shared that reasoning with some other people, who agreed, and I
believe that is what is being looked at now.

One thing that will likely be needed is a couple of volunteers to help
manage it. What that would entail isn't clear yet, but I'm guessing it
would require reliable Internet access, willingness and time to check on
it and handle requests in a timely manner (once a day, maybe more? Depends
on what people think is acceptable.), and that familiarity with the web
and HTML would be most helpful. If you are such a person and so inclined,
please volunteer! (As soon as we know more, of course. Watch this space
for more details.)

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu