Re: [aroid-l] aroid fruit

Hi Tsuh Yang

Many aroid fruits/seeds are edible and some are even used as semi-regular

The large starchy seeds of Typhonodorum are popular as a steamed snack, in
the manner of chestnut, durian and jak-fruit seeds; the seeds of Eminium are
ground as a crude flour in rural Syria in times of need; the fruity-smelling
& tasting berries of Colocasia esculenta are popular with children in rural
Bangladesh, as too are the ripe fruiting spadices of Rhaphidophora
decursiva; I've nibbled on over 70 species of ripe (after the stylar plates
have been shed to reveal the pulp cavity and, importantly, have taken with
them the long glassy needle-like crystals that protect the unripe fruits)
Asian monsteroid fruit and found all to be fruity or malty to taste; an Iban
field guide I worked with in Brunei was very fond of the fruity smelling &
tasting berries of Schismatoglottis and Homalomena - although I found the
irritating effect on my soft palate and throat too much to try more then a

On the last point, very frequently the ripe fruits are 'protected' by
various irritant crystals and/or chemicals and in Europe red and
orange-berried Arum and Dracunculus are both irritant and poisonous with
there being several deaths recorded resulting from children ingesting Arum
maculatum and A. italicum berries. So, remember that attractive colour,
smell & taste doesn't always man that the fruit are safe to ingest - I'd
recommend that you proceed carefully!