Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem
  • From: "plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:41:05 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <r2ot@charter.net>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 6:22 PM
Subject: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem

>  I have been having a problem with a woodchuck/woodchucks chewing up
plenty of plants in the garden.If anyone knows a trick or something to scare
them away or stop them from chewing up my plants I'd like to hear it
>                                                Best,zach
I had one move in underneath my garage last year.  Maybe a better word would
be tunneled underneath my garage.  It would hop up on my back patio and sun
itself.  In the process, it knocked off my pots of plumerias and pineapples
out into the yard.  Then it took a liking to my green tomatoes (plants &
fruit).  I tried using mothballs, since they deter cats pretty well, but
groundhogs don't mind the smell at all.   My dogs (jack russell & pekingese)
would go nuts watching it lounge about outside our sliding door, and it
would pay them no mind unless I let them loose and then it was one fast
bugger.  It would dive underneath the concrete patio slab (a small gap is
between the step and slab) before the dogs cleared the door.  I finally
ended up borrowing a large Hav-a-hart live box trap from a neighbor and
caught it the second day on a cut up apple.  I relocated it about 1.5 miles
away across a river to a less densely populated area.   Short of a shotgun
or a very large, mean dog (a large "hog" will tear a dog to pieces if
cornered), trapping is about your only alternative.   I would recommend a
live trap if you can find one.   I really enjoyed watching this animal until
he got so destructive.

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)