Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:47:41 -0400

> From: r2ot@charter.net
>  I have been having a problem with a woodchuck/woodchucks chewing
up plenty of plants in the garden.If anyone knows a trick or
something to scare them away or stop them from chewing up my plants
I'd like to hear it

An aggressive dog running loose will encourage them to move to
another area; tethered or indoor dogs won't discourage them.
Chickenwire fence buried at least a foot in the soil, turned out away
from what you're trying to protect will stop them.  Fence doesn't
have to be more than 3' tall.  You might also try hot pepper spray or
one of the other nasty tasting sprays available for discouraging
wildlife.  They are strict herbivores and can wreak havoc on tasty
plantings - I used to have a time with them when I grew veggies
before I fenced off the veggie garden.

Woodchucks (AKA groundhogs) have poor eyesight but excellent hearing.
 They are not rocket scientists in the brain department.  They are
excellent diggers but don't climb.  If cornered, they can be
aggressive and bite, otherwise they are fairly mild mannered.  They
dig extensive burrows with more than one entrance, generally marked
by a large mound of soil outside the main entrance.  If you find a
den, you can try running a hose in it tho' that doesn't always
work...but if you do it enough, they might decide to move elsewhere.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :