Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem
  • From: "plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:35:57 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 12:47 AM

<snip>
> Woodchucks (AKA groundhogs) have poor eyesight but excellent hearing.
>  They are not rocket scientists in the brain department.  They are
> excellent diggers but don't climb.  If cornered, they can be
> aggressive and bite, otherwise they are fairly mild mannered.  They
> dig extensive burrows with more than one entrance, generally marked
> by a large mound of soil outside the main entrance.  If you find a
> den, you can try running a hose in it tho' that doesn't always
> work...but if you do it enough, they might decide to move elsewhere.
>
> Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
> mtalt@hort.net
> Editor:  Gardening in Shade
> Current Article: Corydalis
> All Suite101.com garden topics :
> http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

Marge, I know you said that they can't climb, but I can assure that they can
climb quite well.  I caught mine one day up in one of my apple trees
munching on the young leaves after it had bloomed.  It ran down that tree
like a cat after it spotted me.  It would also regularly climb three feet up
the brick walls into my flower planters to get to the tomatoes and then up
onto the concrete column caps to sun itself.

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)