Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem
  • From: "plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:59:30 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "ron iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 8:47 AM

> What's a Woodchuck?

==============
A woodchuck or what we southerners call a groundhog, is a large rodent that
looks sort of like a beaver but with a shorter brushy tail.   They are a
type of marmot (Marmota monax) and burrow underground, eat vegetation,
especially loving apples and fresh vegetables (fruit & vegetation) from
peoples gardens.  Farmers especially don't like them because their large
burrows (with multiple entrances) present a hazard to both cattle and farm
machinery.   The one I just relocated had three burrow entrances underneath
my garage foundation.

I had one as a pet many years ago that was an orphan pup that someone found
and bottle fed.   He was very friendly and followed me around just like a
dog and would come to you if you called his name or whistled and like to be
held and carried around.  All was well until he got mature and then the urge
to dig took over.  You just could not contain him in anything short of a
steel cage as he was very strong.  We finally ended up giving him to our
large mountaintop city park's wildlife folks, who relocated him to a fairly
remote area of the park.  Every year they had a festival at this section of
the park and he would come out to be fed and petted even though he probably
weight over 10 pounds.  He even made the local paper one time when they had
a picture of him sitting up on a stump with everyone gathered 'round him.
He must have lived around five years.

http://www.hoghaven.com/
http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?pid=1&id=109&cid=8

David Sizemore