Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem
  • From: "MJ Hatfield" <mjhatfield@oneota.org>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:00:12 -0500

OK then, I am lucky. I've lived with woodchucks for 21 years, 4-5 burrows
surrounding my house and gardens (only 1 active per year) and never (knock
on wood) had a problem with them in the gardens. But then I've never had a
problem with the rabbits either. I always figured since I garden with
natives as well as exotics and that I leave plenty of wildness about that it
allowed them to leave my "special" stuff alone. I guess I'll count my
blessings rather than assume that it was something I did.

As a side note on my Amorphophallus (after all this is an Aroid list), last
year was hot and dry. So this year I potted all my Amorph tubers is a less
well drained mix. We then proceeded to have a cold/cool wet spring/summer. I
just knew the tubers were sitting in pots rotting but I didn't have time to
re-pot them. But, as good luck would have it, every single day as I checked
on them, 1-7 of the pots had growth emerging. Out of 250+ pots I am only
missing new growth in about 20+ of them and still getting 1 new growth per
day.

Thanks to the powers that be!

MJ Hatfield