Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Woodchuck problem
  • From: "Ann McCulloh" <amcculloh@cbgarden.org>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:20:48 -0400

Like many successful animal species - Woodchuck numbers will expand to
fill available habitat, whether or not humans are in that space. Deer,
raccoons, woodchucks, squirrels, geese, etc. can thrive in the same
habitats as people, and have become de-sensitized to our presence from
necessity.

With thousands of acres of relatively "wild" territory all around,
woodchucks choose to burrow under our garage because the slab makes a
nice roof for them, not because they've been driven out of the woodpiles
and creek banks that abound in the area. And they ravage the garden
because the cultivated plants are tender, tasty and available, not
necessarily because there's a great shortage of "wild" fodder. We create
pleasant circumstances for ourselves, and some of the more adaptable
mammals share our tastes!

Please don't get me wrong - I am all for expanding our reserves of wild
land (and keeping them free of mining, timbering, etc.) That will make a
critical difference to many vulnerable species - I just don't think
woodchucks will "keep to their place" if we give it to them!

Ann E. McCulloh

Curator of Collections
Cleveland Botanical Garden
11030 East Blvd.