Re: [aroid-l] Let the buyers beware

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Let the buyers beware
  • From: "Temmerman" <temmerm@skynet.be>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:08:16 +0200

Hi Ken,

> > I do agree.  The Amorphophallus on ebay reach prices that are just not
>  > normal.
> That's the beauty of the free market. As long as there isn't any fraud
then
> that $50 konjac is really worth $50 at that time to that buyer. No
> complaints allowed.

** Of course you're right, Ken, that's the free market.  To me, those prices
are not normal, but it's the buyer's responsibility.  If he has over a
hundred dollars to spare for a henryi that could be gotten for a lot less,
then that is his responsibility.  It's not because it is on ebay that it
will be cheap.  People compare prices of different stores too.
Furthermore, some nurseries that don't sell on ebay do misname plants too!
And the word rare has to be put into perspective too as it has been
mentioned here before.  To many people here, rare hardly exists anymore,
because they have collections stuffed with plants that they once could only
dream of.  But there are still people out there who have to start their
collection cause they fell in love with a "simple" bulbifer or konjac.  To
them, Amorphophallus henryi or titanum or so many other species are
extremely rare, as they cannot find them in any or hardly any nursery.  I'm
sure that all of you remember what it was like when you were getting your
collection just started and how hard it sometimes is to get plants you
really want.  For the collectors, the plants aren't rare, because they have
them, but when you are just getting started, you admire those collections
full of "extremely rare" plants (whatever that may mean).
Buyer beware, indeed, but doesn't only count for ebay, but for all entities
that sell plants.

Regards,
Michael Temmeman