Re: [aroid-l] Amorph Blues Part 2

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorph Blues Part 2
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 04:31:29 -0400

All plants, including Amorphs, need to be hardened off gradually when
taken from inside to outside - no matter whether it's to get them
used to a change in temperature or not.  You can't put them outside
in the sun without having leaf scorch - which is what happened to
your plants - because even if you had them under lights or in a sunny
window inside, the light intensity out side is much higher - even in
a shady spot.  The leaves that the plant makes inside are simply not
use to that kind of light intensity and can't handle it.  Best to put
them out in a shady spot and gradually move them into more light over
a period of about a week.

There's nothing you can do about the leaf damage at this point.  As
you have noticed, the scorched bits will die off.  The rest of the
leaf should remain.  You can cut away the dead tissue if it gets on
your nerves.

Since part of the food making machine is damaged, I would expect you
won't see substantial tuber growth.  Shouldn't kill the plant, but
it's a set back.

Personally, I'd move the plants into dappled shade for a while.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis