Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron stenolobum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron stenolobum
  • From: "Russ" chammer@cfl.rr.com
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:39:04 -0400

Understood regarding the many forms of  P. stenolobum.  Obviously, those
examples in submitted photos here whether smooth or ruffled edged, are
stenolobum.  While Eduardo's piece in Aroideana 25 was
enlightening, the questions presented here were not clearly answered to the
layman.  It is a scientific presentation, hence, the postings.

I'll try to find the confusing philo I'm referencing and take some pictures
to submit.  While it was sold by
IAS members at Fla west coast botanic gardens as 'williamsii', it is
certainly not the rare williamsii, and I'm doubting it's one of the
stenolobum group.  The leaf is triangular but lobes not narrow.  It has an
obvious lack of dark green color that is confirmed by Eduardo as typical of
stenolobum, and lacks the stiff, leathery   consistency I observe on my own
stenolobum.  Are these disqualifying factors without going into gynoecium,
styles, ovaries, etc?

Aroid-l mailing list