Re: [Aroid-l] Sauromatums, hardy and giant

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Sauromatums, hardy and giant
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:08:24 -0400

I grow the giant form of Thyphonium venosum (actually forms: one has a stem
with bare a dot, another is about 50% "dotted" and still another is more
dark than light green. All are over 3.5 to 4 feet. I am in 7a. We see 38-40
C. (around 100 F.) highs and to -24 C. (-12 F.) rare lows. Average lows
are -9 C. (15 F.). The potted ones go into the cool greenhouse in dry soil.
Most are in the ground (6 inches deep). Here the soil never freezes to that
depth. They get no protection. These things are weeds growing all over the
garden in unexpected places. I think the chipmunks eat the seeds and spread
them all over. Hosta Hill is at 1188 feet AMSL, so is exposed to higher
winds and late freezes but that does not seem to bother them. I know of a
gardener in North Georgia who planted some of my tubers and it is reliably
hardy up there in the mountains at elevation 2800 feet AMSL (USDA zone 6a).
Like I say, It is a weed that should not be turned loose in wild areas.

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North