Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Sauromatum guttatum culture

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Sauromatum guttatum culture
  • From: "David S." maui4me@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 03:00:38 -0400

I disagree.  I've been growing these outdoors in the ground for over twenty
years and have spider mite infestations to varying degrees almost every
year.

Kyle, I hope you've been changing the soil annually in your pots of these,
as well as removing offsets if they'll detach easily.  If well grown, the
corm grows substantially each year until they get about 4" diameter.  I've
had them flower when only a little over 2" diameter, which only takes one or
two years after separating it from the mother plant.   I have some of mine
planted in straight Tennessee red clay and they do well but I doubt you
could overwinter them outdoors in Maine regardless of how deep they were
planted and mulched.   If you give an individual corm room to grow, say not
over one or two babies in a one gallon pot, then you should get quite a bit
of corm growth each year.  They won't flower well if crowded.

David Sizemore