Re: [Aroid-l] variegated Xanthosoma/Eduardo Gon.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] variegated Xanthosoma/Eduardo Gon.
  • From: "Steve Ritchey" sritchey@shreve.net
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:59:06 -0500

Dear Julius and Eduardo-

Thanks for your help in this matter. After Julius mentioned that the flesh of atrovirens tubers is yellow I decided to do a "chuba check" and found this to be true of all the different ones I consider to be atrovirens, whether they have pockets, flaps, or the blades are shaped like they are wearing Mouseketeer hats or not.

The tubers of the plant in question have white flesh and the unvariegated parts of the blades are just green, lacking the the dark bluish tone that seems typical of atrovirens, so given the options I think Eduardo's opinion that it's sagittifolium must be correct.

Is jacquini not a valid species and should this be more properly named maffafa lineatum or something else?

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>