Re: [Aroid-l] variegated Xanthosoma/Eduardo Gon.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] variegated Xanthosoma/Eduardo Gon.
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:11:01 +0000

From : 	Steve Ritchey <sritchey@shreve.net>
Sent : Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:59 PM
To : "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Dear Steve and Eduardo,

It certainly appears that Eduardo is correct, the varigated plant in question is a true X. saggitifolium. Perhaps a quick history is in order---previously to Eduardo`s visit tio Miami, the huge Xanthosomas w. the conspicous bare areas on veins at the juncture of the sinus and somewhat bullate leaf blades, that produce the 'malanga blanca', the "chubas" dearly loved by Cubans and us Trinidadians (but NOT Jamaicans!), THEY were considered to be X. saggitifolum, but when I showed him examples of these actual plants, (the first I showed him was growing in Fairchild Gardens), he immeadiately ID`d them as X. cf. robustum, NOT X. saggitifolium.
So after looking around, he decided that many of the plants grown in Cen. America (like the varigated one) with their sinus almost full to the juncture, were the REAL X. saggitifolum.
Until Dr. Goncalves completes his work on the cultivated Xanthosomas (and Colocasias!), we have to be patient, as taxonomy at best is difficult, but ESPECIALLY so in this group , as they have been studied for years, 'bad' names have been applied, most incorrectly, so it will take time to untangle this jumbled mess of actual plants vs: names! Who knows at this point if X. maffafa or some of the others are valid species or even names!
Good Growing!

Dear Julius and Eduardo-

Thanks for your help in this matter. After Julius mentioned that the flesh of atrovirens tubers is yellow I decided to do a "chuba check" and found this to be true of all the different ones I consider to be atrovirens, whether they have pockets, flaps, or the blades are shaped like they are wearing Mouseketeer hats or not.

The tubers of the plant in question have white flesh and the unvariegated parts of the blades are just green, lacking the the dark bluish tone that seems typical of atrovirens, so given the options I think Eduardo's opinion that it's sagittifolium must be correct.

Is jacquini not a valid species and should this be more properly named maffafa lineatum or something else?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>