Re: [Aroid-l] Rare Meconostigma Philo gets high bid

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Rare Meconostigma Philo gets high bid
  • From: LARIANN GARNER AROIDIAN@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:39:28 -0400

Now that Aroidia Research has been entered into the discussion, I decided it is time to toss my two cents in.

I did this cross between P. stenolobum and P. bipinnatifidum in the early 1980s and at that time was exploring the possibility of putting it into tissue culture. Those plans fell through, but as far as I know, the plant was not released to the trade (at least, not by me).

I didn't realize I was sitting on such a gold mine; I have hybrids of this type that in my opinion are much more desirable than the one fetching the high bid on eBay; I guess I'd better get going here, huh?

The hybrid of P. stenolobum and P. goeldii has been done by Ron Weeks; I think he did his at about the same time as I did my P. goeldii x P. bipinnatifidum. I did not think to do the cross that Ron did because both of those parents have long petioles and I wanted a more compact, hardier progeny.

This year, looks like I'll be able to do P. mello-barretoanum and P. goeldii, just for fun. I did self the P. mello-barretoanum and will have seedlings of the species available by next Spring (if all goes well and the hurricanes stay away).

Best regards,
LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research

Philip Crabb wrote:

What about these two pages from Aroidia Research?

The plant for sale looks more like the 'P. x African
Fantasy' than the 'P. x willoum,' which Aroidia
Research says is the hybrid between P. stenolobum and
P. selloum.

Aroid-l mailing list