Re: [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:45:02 -0400

Scott:

I think you will find the key to amorph. stabilization in containers is as simple as providing good air movement.  Without it, the cell walls of the stalks never strengthen enough to stand up straight.  I have seen countless potted collections with this same problem.  Where we grow ours with good air movement, they stand up fine.  A small recirculating fan will work wonders, or you can strengthen the stems with a regular vigorous shaking...although the family may find that a bit kinky.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Hal or Nancy Robinson wrote:
Try driving a small rebar (from box stores) down into
the ground and placing pots on the rebar.  It will not show and would not hurt the roots that much.
Nancy Robinson  Tennessee  zone 6b