Re: [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:28:50 -0400

Tony - I think Scott is lamenting the fact that top heavy plants tend to tip, especially something like a tall konjac or paeoniifolius whose large lamina is just like a sail in the wind - and the wind tends to blow over the pots.

Scott - In such a large pot there is room for bottom weight. I suggest a brick or patio block, whatever will fit in the bottom, to give you some stability. I grow my big konjacs in 18 - 20 gal buckets and they're heavy enough without bricks in the bottom. I avoid the tipping problem by placing them close together and sheltering them if high winds are predicted.

Good luck,

Tony Avent wrote:

I think you will find the key to amorph. stabilization in containers is as simple as providing good air movement. Without it, the cell walls of the stalks never strengthen enough to stand up straight. I have seen countless potted collections with this same problem. Where we grow ours with good air movement, they stand up fine. A small recirculating fan will work wonders, or you can strengthen the stems with a regular vigorous shaking...although the family may find that a bit kinky.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Hal or Nancy Robinson wrote:
Try driving a small rebar (from box stores) down into
the ground and placing pots on the rebar. It will not show and would not hurt the roots that much.
Nancy Robinson Tennessee zone 6b