Re: [Aroid-l] Help - Serious spreading Amorph disease

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Help - Serious spreading Amorph disease
  • From: Susan B honeybunny442@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:12:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Adam,
I lost my entire crop of konjacs to this about 5 years
ago.  It affected the konjacs while other Amorphs
right next to them had no problems!
I've also lost a significant amount of Zantedeschia to
soft rot/Erwinia 2 years ago. The plants looked just
fine, until suddenly they toppled over at the base.
The petioles looked like they melted.  I've also seen
it affect cut flowers- the plant looked fine, the
flower was picked and put into water in a vase.  The
next day the petiole would have literally dissolved
all the way up to the spathe, which would look OK for
a little while and then it too would start to "melt".

My soft rot/Erwinia, which, by the way, I understand
is two different diseases but work together; seemed
different from your plant's symptoms.
First, the rot would progress up the petiole or down
to the tuber.  I could pull the bloom and leaves right
out of the ground with no effort.  Second, it has a
very awful, rotten, stinky smell.  The tubers would
also be affected, with large sections rotting off.

Erwinia is a bacterial disease (if I remember
correctly), it is very contagious and can be carried
on feet from one site to another.  Phyton 20, a copper
based formula, is said to prevent it, but bulbs must
be sprayed before planting.  I believe if it affects
an area you are not supposed to use that soil again
because it is infected.

I did rescue a few of my tubers that weren't too badly
affected, I used a water hose to vigorously spray them
until all the mush washed away.  Then I dried the
tubers in the sun/ air as much as possible.  Some of
them were viable the next year, I only had about 3
plants with it last year as opposed to maybe a hundred
the year before.

Truly a heartbreaking disease.  I wish you luck with
it.  Since your tubers seem to be OK, you may have
some other disease or pest going on....

Susan B