Philodendron x evansii/feral Aroids in the U.S.A.

  • Subject: Philodendron x evansii/feral Aroids in the U.S.A.
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 00:24:03 +0000

> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:54:50 -0700
> From: leu242@yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron x evansii/feral Aroids in the U.S.A.

Dear Eric,

Thanks for reminding me about some Alocasia sps. which indeed do produce fruit around these parts!  I have seen A. macrorrhizos and A. odura with ripe red fruit from either self or possibly fruit fly pollination, as well as Monstera deliciosa.  My plant of this is in fact from a seedling I collected from under the late Jim Enck`s plant, and mine often produces a seedling or two where ripe fruit fall.
I agree on your thoughts concerning P. X evansii, all the specimens I have encountered ar from the 60`s or thereabouts.
The Best,

Julius