One problem with IAS - Discussion Forums

  • Subject: One problem with IAS - Discussion Forums
  • From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:12:14 -0500

I see your point.  Perhaps Steve Marak and those that maintain the achieve of Aroid l could consider new ways to improve that database.  I use it all the time since I can often find accurate information from past members who are no longer with us or don't often post today.  Plus I can find all the posts from our resident botanists.  Some of those members who have passed on were among the most knowledgeable the society has ever had but their explanations  live on through the achieve.
One suggestion to increase membership I have offered, and hope others will pick up and implement, is for those of us who operate any sort of aroid website to promote the IAS via your site.  I sought permission from Dan Levin when he was president along with that of Tricia Frank to add over 100 links to the IAS on my own site using the IAS name and logo.  The search engines pick up on that and more than one entry point to the International Aroid Society website and membership page is presented to anyone who searches for "aroid society" or any similar term.  Since I use a tracking service I can "see" how many people click on the link, I just have no idea what action they take once they shift over to the IAS site.  I am always hopeful they elect to join!  I see at least 10 or more individuals daily take a look at the IAS site directly from my site.
I would encourage anyone who maintains a plant website to promote both Aroid l and the IAS.  Our society needs a constant supply of new members and I see it as the obligation of the membership to promote our group.  If we are not all suggesting others join, the membership will remain either constant or begin to decline.
I am always interested to hear from any member who can offer better suggestions as to how we can make the IAS grow.  So your suggestions are certainly valuable.
I too enjoy the "chit chat" where people can post information that is instantly available.  I personally elected to leave the UBC forum.  There are some really good people on UBC but there are also those that love to try to stir up trouble.  That was probably not a good move on my part but I've received more than a few personal emails from others who have tried to provide good information and became tired of being told their information was not accurate even when it came directly from a scientific source.
Perhaps a second "instant post" Aroid forum that works in conjunction with Aroid l could be considered.  At least that way, most of the participants would already be seeking aroid information and be less concerned with "posies and daisies".
Steve Lucas