Intra-what!--Structures on Mecon. Philo.'s rhizome

  • Subject: Intra-what!--Structures on Mecon. Philo.'s rhizome
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:54:27 +0000

________________________________
> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:29:34 +0000
> From: bonaventure@optonline.net
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Intra-what--Structures on Mecon. Philo.'s rhizome

Dear Bonaventure and Friends,

Yes, Leyland`s description of the ''dragon`s teeth'' stipules/squamules on his P. mello-barettoanum`s rhizome is accurate, and they WILL hurt you!   I received a bad puncture/cut from the knife-like ones on a large P. bipinnatifidum some years ago, and the long and thin spine-like ones that occur on P. undulatum are also daunting when one has to handle a plant!
Off-topic for a moment--the plant family Aristolochia is also dear to my heart, though those pictured on the page given by Bonaventure are not A. ringens.   The blooms pictured certainly have quite a ''look'' to them though!  The widly splayed blooms of several species, including A. grandiflora on Trinidad have a few unmentionably rude ''local''/common names.
As one of my first forays into Botany (when I was under 7 years of age) was when I noticed butterfly larvae on a plant of what I today know to have been A. trilobata planted to be used by our maid as birth control! ( I published on this in a later paper).  The larvae were of again what I know today to be Battus polydamus, which became the second species of b/fly my brother and I raised to adults.  At around 9 or 10, I ''discovered'' the fly-trap blooms of A. rugosa, and even at that age realized that flies were being trapped for pollination purposes!   I have a plant of this species growing at my home, I collected it about 20 years ago back in Trinidad, and it does well on a trellis here, flowering profusly almost all year long.  No seed-set, as there must not be pollinators around.   It is completely denuded by Battus polydamus larvae several times per year with no long-term bad effects!   I also discovered a new species in the late 60`s/early 70`s when I worked in S.W. Trin
 idad by following an Battus belus female in her quest for a larval food plant and on which she deposited her eggs.  It was described a couple years later by Miss Panter at Kew in England as A. boosii in honor of the collector of the type specimens.
If anyone would like to continue this off-topic thread, please do so off aroid-l at my e-mail address--
>ju-bo@msn.com<
Enough for one note!

Good Growing,

Julius Boos