our dear friend Julius Boos

  • Subject: our dear friend Julius Boos
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@windstream.net>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:04:06 -0400

 I thought I would share a bit about Julius that I know. When I first
started collecting I was fairly young considering and I was also already
a fanatic aroid collector. I was extremely hungry for knowledge. This
was at a time when I could not tell a Philodendron from an Anthurium and
I was also willing to take any Syngonium cutting anyone would share. I
am sure many can relate to this very young stage of aroid collecting.
   I have a great interest for aquatic aroids and after reading a small
post by Julius on an obscure message board he suddenly was on my hit
list. This usually meant a lot of questions in radon emails and god
forbid if I was able to get his phone number. Julius was particularly
kind to my enthusiasm and encouraged me  unlike anyone else. He sent me
free seeds of Urospatha and a few other rare aquatic plants.  Needless
to say these were the first seeds I ever started myself though with
Julius's instructions they were up and growing like weeds and are still
growing for me to this day. I continued to trade emails with Julius and
he had helped many times after this with odd questions and great humor.
It was a pleasure to finally meet him in person at my first aroid show.
He was with out a doubt nothing like what I had expected to see. I have
somewhat of a good imagination and after a few conversations on the
phone I had thought he would look similar to the 7up guy from the
commercials. I had him figured him as a large dark Jamaican type with
dreadlocks LOL. Never did I know he would look like an South American
Santa Claus. He stood very tall and had a very kind look to his face
small glasses and a beard his personality could barely contain him. I
introduced myself and he instantly started to introduce me to everyone
he knew. I could tell right away everyone knew Julius and everyone loved
Julius. I personally met the glue that held so many collectors together.
His stories of collected captivated me like nothing else, this man was
on fire for aroids and he was right at home at the aroid show.  I doubt
he knows he made such and impression on me. I believe at the time I was
16 years old I distinctly remember him shake my hand and their was
something in his hand. He whispered in my ear, this is a very very rare
aroid CHuber don't let anyone know. Grow it out!
 Things like this makes Julius a legend in the hearts of aroiders. The
sense of excitement the lust for knowledge and the ability captivate and
awe. I have shadowed Julius at every aroid show sense and consider him a
great and wonderful friend. Hearing this information puts a burden on my
heart. I hope and pray good new is around the corner. Just knowing
Julius is a blessing and I felt compelled to share my experience of
Julius with the group.

 Julius I hope you get well soon I hope and pray for the best.  God bless.
Aroid-L mailing list