Re: Another Unknown Aroid

  • Subject: Re: Another Unknown Aroid
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:21:14 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Aroiders,

Aloha.

I did not know the identity of the Sauromatum venosum in the pot.  If one wants to expand their horizons into the realm of cycads, it appears that the species illustrated is, the South African Cape species, Encephalartos arenarius.  It is a very beautiful sand dune endemic and the two genera should be separated for the benefit of both.  I do not know the value of the Sauromatum, but the Encephalartos is worth a pretty penny, especially at the apparent size in the photos.

Aloha,

Leland