Re: Julius and the Mystery Meconostigma at the NYBG

  • Subject: Re: Julius and the Mystery Meconostigma at the NYBG
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:03:22 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Airlan.

Aloha.

Thank you for the post and dedication to my spiritual brother, Julius.  This particular Meconostigma is a real puzzle to me.

It has the basic look to me of a Philodendron tweedianum, but, not all of the characters fit.  There is an unknown sterile collection of a Philodendron sp. A, that Mayo wrote about in his revision.  That has leaf blades that sound similar, but with fewer lateral veins in the anterior portion.  The relationship of Philodendron undulatum to the NYBG plant is also questionable unless it is a hybrid and has lost the distinct, spine like intravaginal squamules of Philodendron undulatum.  Philodendron petraeum has entire blade margins which differs from the sinuately lobed margins of the NYBG plant.

I also am confused by the syntype of the Philodendron undulatum stem that you illustrate from Rio.  There are no leaf base scars and this really does not look like the stem of any Meconostigma I know.  Is there a larger image that shows more of the herbarium sheet?

Many questions, but, this will do for now.

Aloha,

Leland