more on Amorphophallus

  • Subject: more on Amorphophallus
  • From: "Nancy Greig" <ngreig@hmns.org>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:02:41 -0500

Hello everyone.  Thanks to many of you for your helpful comments to us A. titanum neophytes.  I wish I had known about the IAS and the listserve before this all happened – we are scrambling now to catch up!  It sounds from what I’m hearing that first time blooms are often sterile (at least produce no pollen) and also do not smell, or not much.  Certainly that was our experience.  Now I have another question.  How long will it be before the inflorescence and peduncle abscise from the tuber?  (a week, several weeks, ???)  And will the inflorescence break off first, and then the peduncle wither?  Or does it abscise at the base of the peduncle first?

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Nancy

Nancy Greig

Director, Cockrell Butterfly Center

Houston Museum of Natural Science