Re: Alocasia 'Black Velvet'

I purchased one of those black velvet alocasias about two years ago.  I
knew virtually nothing about alocasias at the time.  Looking at them, I
convinced myself that they needed loads of water and kept the soil soaking
all the time.  The plants did horribly so I watered them even more.  They
came close to dropping dead before it was pointed out that alocasias need
to keep their roots somewhat dry and their air somewhat moist.  Once I
started doing that, they thrived and did great.

Of course, taking them outside this spring into cold nights and rainy days
didn't help; they're just beginning to recover now.  Regardless, keeping
their roots in an airy soil and keeping them warm and keeping the air moist
would be my recommendation.