konjac and sunlight

A discussion a short while ago pointed out some controversy about konjac.

If I understood correctly, someone said that konjacs in Japan are grown in
direct sunlight.  Is anyone here growing one under direct sunlight?

I ask because my konjac (the black stem variety) was doing perfectly fine
this spring but the leaf then degenerated.  I thought that the tuber was
gone but it appears to be sending up a new shoot.  I'd like to get as much
growth in the tuber as possible this season and if it would tolerate
sunlight, I assume it would be able to grow even larger.  Unfortunately,
there are only 8 growing weeks left here on Long Island and there just
won't be much space to prolong the season indoors.

So, any advice on light tolerance?