Monstera deliciosa - dwarf, giant or otherwise "developmentally

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Monstera deliciosa - dwarf, giant or otherwise "developmentally
  • From: "Jay Vannini" <interbnk@infovia.com.gt>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:34:05 -0500 (CDT)

Julius -

Good to see that you are back from Guyana Francais.

Your observations on variations in M. deliciosa were interesting. Although
the "classic" version is grown in gardens everywhere here, come to think of
it, all of the wild plants I have observed in the western Guatemalan
highlands WERE somewhat different from that wildly fenstrated/lacinate (?)
thing that we all grew up with. While the leaves of indigenous plants get
pretty big and do "shot-hole" modestly, they look much more like the first
illustration in Birdsey's "The Cultivated Aroids" and identified there as
'cultigen Dwarf Ceriman" than the Oaxacan plants.

Question - I have a plant of the M. deliciosa 'albo-variegata' form that
appears to be heading towards giant, fenestrated splendor. Are all the
plants that you see in the trade propagations from a single clone, are is
this variegation fairly common in the population? Presumably this very
'coqueto' form originated in southern Mexico?

'dios - Jay